On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:09:26AM +0000, Neil Swallow wrote:
> Having lost an encapsulated root disk (called rootdisk) running vxvm 3.5 on
> solaris 2.6, and kept the server running on the mirror (normal vx
> initialized disk) I can't now use vxdiskadm to replace the disk.  When I go
> to replace it, it insists that the public region is too small.

Defaults have changed across versions.  You now have to give vxdisksetup
extra arguments to tell it to leave some space alone.

> Looking at
> the old vtoc, this is true.  VM wants to initialize a disk that I want
> layed out as though it had been encapsulated.

Since your mirror (then one you're running from) is already an
"initialized" disk, why don't you want the other disk to be one as well?
It should run just fine.

>  I've tried things like
> `vxdisksetup -i disk old_layout` but again this tries to initialize to the
> standard 2 slice layout where the original had a public region of the
> entire disk with the private and original slices sat inside this in
> whatever magical manner VM manages to carry that out.

Yes, but that should be the preferred way.  Is having it initialize the
disk like this causing problems?

> Is there anyway I can lay the disk out as I want and then just tell VM to
> trust me that it's initialized/encapsulated and let me go on and re-mirror
> or will the sync ignore the old slices anyway as it splats the data back
> on?

Sync always ignores slices (which is why your mirror is already an
"initialized" disk).  The only thing that an encapsulated disk does is
have subdisks/volumes created at the exact locations that the slices
already exist.

> If there's no way forward I'm looking to have to remove the mirror totally,
> add the replacement disk as a new one and mirror back, losing the ability
> to boot from the underlying devices (unless I start looking at vxmksdpart
> which looks a bit daunting).

When you mirror the root filesystem, it will create an "underlying
slice" for you automatically.  There has to be one on your existing
mirror disk (which you're booted from) as well, correct?

You can create slices for other filesystems if you want via
'vxmksdpart' as well (assuming you have free slice numbers).

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]