On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:01:43PM -0500, Ray Arachelian wrote:
> I wonder if it's possible to use snapshots to undo changes to a file
> system without having to copy everything back?  I'm not too familiar
> with what snapshots can do in VXFS, so that's why I'm asking...

Snapshots are read-only.  I think storage checkpoints would be more
appropriate.  Then you could perhaps run your DR test on the
checkpoint.  When you're done, toss the checkpoint and come back up on
the regular (untouched) filesystem.

> I suppose I could hack something up with rsync, but that would probably
> be almost as time consuming as just copying the snap volume data back to
> the main volume.

I'm not so sure.  rsync should be pretty good about skipping portions of
a file that are identical, so it might be quite useful.  Also, rsync is
really worst when you have lots and lots of files.  In a DB test, you
probably don't have all that many files.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]