When I first wrote the script (many, many, many moons ago), Solaris wasn't reliable about getting the disk driver to update its view of the partition table, which would cause confusion in some cases, so when I wrote this stuff I was overly conservative. But, even now, it is a bit tricky trying to prove that none of the partitions are in use, particularly from a shell script (and vxencap is a shell script).

Fixing the script to avoid reboots has been discussed quite a few times, but nobody has wanted to prioritize tackling a script like this that developers have been updating for over 15 years.
--
    tron |-<=>-|