On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:09:27PM -0500, Asim Zuberi wrote:
> Just recently we observed, during the encapsulation of the "rootdrive"
> process the OS native "logging" option for
> "/" and "swap" is getting turned off. Even though, during the OS install the
> logging option was explicitly set.

Well, swap isn't a UFS filesystem, so "logging" doesn't mean anything
there anyway.

For quite some time there has been an interaction problem with logging
UFS on a VxVM volume.  Symantec has some technotes about it.  The
encapsulation script is disabling the logging feature intentionally.  I
don't know what the status is for your version of VxVM.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/271404.htm

> In this example:
>
> OS = Solaris 10 update 4
> VRTS pkgs = 5.0 with MP1

> Question is, doesn't  "rootvol" require "logging"?

No.  But the filesystem is unprotected against certain inconsistencies
that can arise during a crash.

> /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/swapvol      -       -       swap    -       no
> nologging
> /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol      /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/rootvol     /       ufs
> 1       no      nologging
> /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var  /dev/vx/rdsk/bootdg/var /var    ufs     1       no
> logging

The fact that the script attaches that "mount" option on the swap slice
seems rather silly.  But it doesn't seem to do any harm.

--
Darren