Folks,
We've starting (probably with VxFS 5.0) seeing that newly created Veritas file
systems (eg. just ran "mkfs -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/junk2") have a "flag"
bit set:

        # vxassist make junk 1g
        # mkfs -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/junk
            version 7 layout
            2097152 sectors, 1048576 blocks of size 1024, log size 16384 blocks
            largefiles supported
        # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/junk /junk
        # echo "8192B.p S" | fsdb -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/junk | grep flags
        flags 4000 mod 0 clean 3c

Previously we would find our file systems with no flag bits set.  It must not
be a terribly important flag since it doesn't trigger a normal fsck to clear it:

        # umount /junk
        # fsck -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/junk
        file system is clean - log replay is not required
        # echo "8192B.p S" | fsdb -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/junk | grep fl>
        flags 4000 mod 0 clean 5a

That said, if you pass the "-o full" option it does clear it:

        # fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/junk
        log replay in progress
        pass0 - checking structural files
        pass1 - checking inode sanity and blocks
        pass2 - checking directory linkage
        pass3 - checking reference counts
        pass4 - checking resource maps
        OK to clear log? (ynq)y
        flush fileset headers? (ynq)y
        set state to CLEAN? (ynq)y
        # mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/junk /junk
        # echo "8192B.p S" | fsdb -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/junk | grep fl>
        flags 0 mod 0 clean 3c

So...does anyone know what flag 4000 means?  That would be the 14th bit (0100
0000 0000 0000).  I've looked through the #include files in both the VRTSvxfs
and VRTSfssdk packages but haven't found a definition of this flag...

And before anyone asks...We have a scanner that picks up file system with
non-zero flags because we had a situation once where a running file system had
been marked for a fullfsck because of an underlying I/O problem (which wasn't
detected till the system rebooted and all the file systems get full fscked).

It's probably nothing...maybe we just watch our systems too closely :)

Cheers,
 - Mike.Myers <at> nwdc.net