On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:54:43AM -0500, Barton Wold wrote:
> I recently changed jobs and have found that my new place uses Veritas
> striped volumes that go to a hardware array that is stripe/mirror'd.
> There are a lot of smart people here who have done benchmark testing
> to confirm that this is faster (I haven't seen those results).  This
> doesn't make sense to me.  Wouldn't it be slower?

Not necessarily.

>  I would think that
> you would be trying to write to different parts of the same drive at
> once?!?

Perhaps, but even if true, you can't say that that specific effect
outweighs others without testing.

On some systems, the benefit of scheduling multiple LUNs for I/O on the
host (sw striping) dramatically improves IO, even though the HW striping
may be more efficient.

Array level caches may negate any drawbacks of writing to a LUN in
different locations.

Also, it depends on the specific array and layout.  If there's a large
number of physical disks, then the stripe/stripe may not be doing double
writes to any cylinders.  Only some layouts would have that particular
problem.

--
Darren