On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 07:09:21PM -0400, Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
> My disk group appdg consists of 2 disks and 6 volumes (each of the
> volumes has 2 plexes - one on each of the disks).
>
> I would like to :
> A) detach one of the disk from appdg (leaving the data intact)
> B) reattach the disk to the different disk group (thus moving the
> volumes from one group to the other)
>
> As far as I know there is way to do it with low level commands
> (probably unsupported by Veritas). Could anyone suggest a direction?

This is easier with the flashsnap licenses.

Easiest is to first move the plexes to their own volume.  'dis' the
plex, then add it to a new volume.  So you can see a volume online in
the original disk group, and you can see the data in it.

Then look at this page:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/pub/mail-lists/ssastuff/dg.html

But instead of moving all the items in a disk group, you're just going
to move the one volume so:

* make sure you have a backup *
gather the data mentioned on the web page  (vxprint)
stop the new volume
remove the volume from the dg
remove the disk from the dg
initialize the disk into a new dg
recreate the volume using the saved data (vxmake)

Good luck

--
Darren