Yes, disks can be removed from a disk group while the volume is mounted.
However, the disk must not have any subdisks associated with it. The
situation as described is confusing. Did you evacuate to the new disk? Or,
did you resize to the new disk? I wonder, are both the original and the
added disk associated with one of the RAID1 plexex? Could you post the
output of vxprint -rLhtg <disk group>? The plex layout can then be known and
the correct procedure given.
Bill