Disclaimer: I work in product management on Storage Foundation at Symantec.

Hi Jon,

Without going in the details, there are a couple of high level differences that
are worth calling out:

1.       Multipathing (DMP)

2.       Integration with the file system for advanced storage optimization
(SmartMove and Thin Reclamation)

3.       Scale out management (Veritas Operations Manager)

VxVM comes with Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing (DMP). DMP provides enterprise
grade performance and availability for the industry’s broadest set of storage
HW. You can check the latest support list  at:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Foundation_Suite/330441.pdf .
All operations in DMP (as in VxVM) are online. That includes configuration
operations like adding support for a new storage array. One simple and really
useful thing that DMP provides are device names that are aligned with the short
names used inside the storage array. It streamlines communication between the
system and storage admins by making extremely easy to map devices on a server
to LUNs in a backend storage array. That reduces provisioning and configuration
errors. It also comes handy for troubleshooting.

Are you using or planning to use Thin Provisioning? If you are, you already
know that Thin Provisioning automates allocation of storage to your file
systems. If you are running a thin environment, you will want it to stay thin
over time. That means ensuring that ‘no longer used’ storage is automatically
put back in the array free pool. The problem is that a storage array by itself
cannot differentiate between ‘used’ and ‘no longer used’ storage. The host file
system however can provide that information. Together with the Veritas File
System (VxFS), VxVM delivers a feature called Thin Reclamation. Thin
Reclamation fully automated reclaiming ‘no longer used space’ on thin luns. It
works with the majority of thin storage arrays on the market. By combining
array based Thin Provisioning with host triggered Thin Reclamation, you get a
fully automated, always optimized thin storage ecosystem.

You can get more information at:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/vision-2010-symantec-and-array-vendors-helping-customers-get-thin-and-stay-thin-0

Last but not least is scaling out management. If you have a license for Storage
Foundation, you are entitled to deploy the Veritas Operations Manager (VOM).
You can download it free from here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/veritas-operations-manager.

It’s extremely easy to deploy (we’re talking 5 minutes). You can find some good
screencasts to walk you through the process at:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-release-veritas-operations-manager-vom-30

With VOM, you can now think of VxVM and VxFS as enabling functionality that you
will consume through VOM. You get to manage storage and HA/DR from a single
pane of glass. You get end to end visibility from top of application all the
way down to array spindle. If you’re running a database, you get to know how
much storage is actually used by tables within the db data files.

Have you ever had to move an application from one storage array to another?
Doing this in VOM is point and click. And it’s all online.

Need to perform some maintenance in your SAN? VOM allows you to gracefully shut
down all the DMP paths that go to a given array controller (checking first that
doing this won’t bring anything down). Do you maintenance. Then re-enable the
paths. All from a single pane of glass that allows you to always act on up to
date information.

Note that I haven’t talked about snapshots, fast mirror resync, portable data
containers (so you can seamlessly move file systems from Unix to Linux and
back), host based replication, etc.

My point is that there’s much more to VxVM than host based volume management.
We’re focused on bridging the gap between server and storage and automating the
tricky tasks associated with provisioning and maintaining storage for
applications and databases.

Thomas

Veritas Storage Foundation and Cluster Server Product Management