31 write operations occurring in parallel? Or, perhaps, 31 concurrent I/Os,
some reads some writes? If this is the case using vxbench specifying
rand_write, nthreads=5, for example, should result in concurrency=5 during
the run of the vxbench utility.

I am skeptical that this will actually occur. I look in my examples and
concurrency and the number of I/O threads do not match.