On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 07:07:26PM +0300, Asiye Yigit wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> ?t is recommended to add raid-5 log device to the volume to recover the
> correct data in any case including system crash.
>
> However, I am trying to understand how the data and parity changes are logged
> here? Do you know the structure of this area?

Not the specifics.  I believe it is basically an intent log for the R5
volume.

> Data and parity itself couldn't write here, if it is like that those area
> should be big enough.

Correct.  It is just temporary.  Once all writes are committed, then the
data is not needed.  So the log area can be quite small.

> As far as i know, it is small area.
>
> What kind of information for each data and parity changes is holdin
> here to re-paly the log?

Presumably it is the full set of changes that will be made to the parity
stripe.  I suppose it could be just the subset of changes on a
less-than-full-stripe write as well, but that gets into the nitty-gritty
details which I don't know about.

What level of information are you hoping for?

--
Darren