Hi Dirk,

I'm glad you guys understand how developers work (Work on only one
machine? no way! Minimum: laptop + desktop, and as others have noted,
often: desktop (home office), desktop (office), laptop (everywhere
else!)).

However, I think your license agreement should be explicit in granting
what you say above.  The problem with leaving it the way it is now is
that it's not clear if we are in violation or not (not sure how a post
on a forum plays legally - does that constitute an "official"
amendment to a license agreement?

Why not put what you said above into the license agreement and make it
explicit?

"As long as you don't use Versions simultaneously on multiple
machines,
we're absolutely cool if you use the same license code on several
machines as long as those are all machines belonging or primarily
used
by the same person."

That seems to say it pretty well to me.  My only gripe _might_ be that
when I'm debugging a nasty bug I sometimes work on two machines at the
same time, well, generally time-slicing, but using both back and
forth.  I'd like to be able to leave Versions open on both machines
while I do that, but it's not a show-stopper if I have to quit one and
then relaunch (boring though!).

For reference, The OMNI Group license for OmniOutliner contains this:

"The Omni Group grants to you a non-exclusive, limited right to
install and use The Omni Group software program downloaded or
contained on the CD-ROM or disk (the "Software"). The license permits
either (a) multiple users to install and use the Software on a single
machine; or (b) a single user to install and use the Software on
multiple machines. However, a single license does not allow multiple
users to ever use Software on multiple machines, regardless of whether
such use is concurrent, except in the case of Family Pack licensing. "

Clause (b) is the one that pertains to your situation (I don't know
that you want to allow (a), though that seems reasonable to me also).

Some developers make it more restrictive and say only use it on two
machines, and only purchaser/licensee may use it. E.g., BBEdit:

"You may use the program and documentation on not more than two (2)
machines and copy the program and
documentation into any machine-readable or printed form for backup or
support of your use of the program
and documentation on either or both machines, provided that no copy of
the program and documentation may
be used by anyone other than you."

Please consider amending your License agreement to be more explicit
about supporting the configurations many/most developers actually want/
need to use.

Thank you,
tyler