This is a bit of a newbie question, but I cannot get clarity on this,
and would like some help. At the moment myself and another are working
on the same project, committing our changes to beanstalk using
Versions each evening.

What is the correct process / workflow for committing these files?

I am not sure what the 'update' button actually does, does that
attempt to merge repository changes of that file with my file and
update, or does it overwrite my local file with the repository
version?

When do I attempt to merge using FileMerge - before / after / nothing
to do with the 'update' button?

Should I be pressing 'update' to update my entire working directory
before attempting to commit any files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have been unable to find
any solid documentation on how this works with Versions.