Another workaround is to just grab a file (or files) and drag them
from Versions onto the Dock icon for the application you want to open
them in.

Or, grab the file, Cmd-Tab to switch to Finder, hover over
Applications folder, and then drop onto the application you want to
open them with. Sounds like a long, complicated method, but is really
rather quick.