Today I changed some filenames to have lowercase letters instead of
uppercase. When I launched Versions, it showed the files as missing. I
deleted the broken aliases with the intent of adding the new files.

But Versions then went ahead and actually deleted the files that it
had previously claimed it couldn't find. Awesome. Many hours of work
lost. This is a pretty bad bug and I am pissed right now.

Basically, if it says that it can't find a file in the GUI, Versions
shouldn't be able to then go and delete a file that has the same name
with different capitalization off your hard drive. They're not even in
the trash. Just gone.