Thanks for the help, Quinn! This got me a lot further. FYI, I had to
change the "www" to "_www" in the chown Terminal command--apparently,
that's the apache username. To get things working completely, I also
had to add the following line to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf:

LoadModule dav_svn_module /opt/subversion/lib/svn-apache/
mod_dav_svn.so

Jeff