Aha!!

I posted about this back in December and had given up since nobody
replied, and eventually ended up resorting to BBEdit.  Blah.

Your answer didn't address my issue directly, but the tip about how
Versions uses opendiff was the clue I needed.  I had removed all of
the development tools and moved FileMerge into my regular /
Applications/Utilities folder.

All I needed to do was copy opendiff from the install DVD into my /usr/
bin.  Running the "xcode-select" commands you mention wasn't at all
necessary to get it working in my case.

FYI - To get opendiff from the DVD without reinstalling everything
again:

1. Open the DVD and "View Package Contents" of the
"DeveloperTools.pkg" file in the packages folder.
2. Copy the "Archive.pax.gz" file to your hard disk and extract it.
3. Inside the finished "Archive" folder you'll find a /usr/bin folder
with opendiff inside.
4. Copy the opendiff app from there to your /usr/bin on your machine.
You may need to use the "Go To Folder" menu in the Finder's "Go" menu
to get to yours if you're not comfortable using the command-line.
5. You can also copy FileMerge from the /Developer/Applications/
Utilities folder if you need it again.

Those exact steps got FileMerge working for me again in Versions
without having to install the rest of the developer tools.  YMMV of
course :)  Thanks again!