I think this is a general Subversion issue, and not something Versions alone
can address.

One thing folks I know often do is store a generic template file in the
repository, then add an svn:ignore property to ignore versions with local
modifications. For example, if you have foo.conf, you could version
foo.template.conf with the understanding that users must duplicate this as
foo.conf (and customize as necessary) after checkout. You could integrate some
sort of script to handle that for you, which would be useful if there are
multiple configuration files.

Googling (especially on Stack Overflow) should turn up some helpful links. For
example:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/577176/adding-unversioned-files-to-subversion
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1495796/subversion-management-of-project-configuration-files
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3366708/how-to-remove-file-from-subversion-make-it-unversioned

Personally, I prefer to keep the file extension the same (rather than appending
.template) because then it maps to the same application. For me, .template
files try to open in Pages, which is incredibly annoying. :-P

- Quinn