Daniele Paganelli wrote:

> I noticed that if I set the same input and output dataset in an
> operation plugin, the output dataset will result totally empty with even
> no possibility to restore old data.

The problem is that veusz doesn't really know what datasets were used to
produce the output dataset. The plugin should probably reject input datasets
which are output datasets. An undo appears to work for me however and
restores the original dataset.

The problem is that the dataset plugin mechanism is intended as a sort of
spreadsheet-like dependency analysis. Veusz needs to know that it can call
the plugin to generate a particular dataset. When the output depends on the
input this will break down.

A possibility might be if the plugin returns some sort of flag which
indicates a static dataset, so the generated dataset doesn't have any
dependencies on itself. This could be just saved as data when the document
is saved.

If you really do want to do anything to the document, a tools plugin might
be what you really want. You can generate new datasets within the plugin,
read in files, even create new datasets using dataset plugins. It won't have
the dependency analysis however and will be a one-time operation.

Jeremy