From: Tom Davenport <t...@comcast.net>
Subject: [VFB] Re: The lift - was Active Nymphing
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 12:20 AM

Unlike Tony, I have no problems at all with a strike indicator,
especially when making long casts into deep holes that would be
impossible to fish with the high stick method.  Heck, I don't even
care if you call it a bobber instead of a strike indicator. In fact my
favorite strike indicator LOOKS like a bobber, it is called the
"Thingamabobber"  (here is a link if you want to see one:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054523320531a.shtml
           )  It is lightweight, unsinkable, can be easily adjusted at
any point on the leader.  I use the smallest one they make.   But I
don't let the fact I have a strike indicator on stop me from high
sticking, I will do it anyway when the line gets into high sticking
territory.  The strike indicator helps you see the slight "pause" in

drift of the line when a fish is taking your nymph.

Tom
On Feb 16, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Michael Bliss wrote:

> This discussion has been very helpful for me both in understanding
> Osthoff's book and the process.  Now I want to talk about the
"lift".
> Can you make me feel this?  We are at the end of the swing.  I assume
> the flyrod is pointing straight down the river at the fly.  Simply
> raise the fly rod?  Slowly?  Thanks again,
>
> By the way, I think I am a very good nymphing fisherman.  However, I
> do my best to dead drift with no unnatural action or drag.  But this
> is a new concept and I am trying to conceptualize it.  Also I use a
> strike indicator.  I have fished without it and I feel it gives me
> more information not just on the strike but also on the way the
> current is affecting my line and hence my fly.  I would like some
> feedback on this as well.  I know many good fisherman don't as those
> on the list have indicated but many very good ones do based on my
> observation and reading.  It would be interesting to get the viewpoint
> of those that don't how they deal with determining drag
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Anthony Spezio
> <bambot...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Tom and you are men after me own heart. I did not have anyone to
>> teach me
>> but I found out that doing it this way had been real effective for
>> me. That
>> drift with some twitching has taken a lot of fish when others had a
>> hard
>> time catching fish. That "lift" at the end of the swing is
deadly.
>> I would
>> say I catch about 90% of my fish there when nymping or using buggers.
>> I am self taught and have never had the desire to use
"bobbers". I
>> know I am
>> stepping on some toes but to me worms and bobbers go together.. LOL
>> Tom, any time you can come by, you are welcome, we will miss you at
>> the
>> Sowbug.
>> Tony

don't
>> think it is
>> as important as some people think.  Sometimes adding a little
>> motion to the
>> fly is exactly what the fish need to strike.  If I am fishing a
>> long, deep
>> run, I will often combine them all... Maybe cast into a back eddy,
>> let the
>> fly sink then strip it into the main current, let it dead drift
>> until it
>> comes close to me, then lift the line and high stick through the
>> water next
>> to me, with a swing on the end, followed by stripping the line
>> back.   I
>> have caught fish at all stages of the presentation of the fly.
>> I think we spend too much time wondering what a fly
"represents" .
>> Most
>> often, it is just something that looks like food to the fish, and
>> movement
>> can be a trigger.
>> Perhaps the most important thing is just keeping the fly in the
>> water, and
>> close to the bottom.
>> Tom
>> P.S.  By the way, I am officially "back".  My strength,
energy,
>> appetite,
>> are all normal.  I am also making progress with the other two side
>> effects
>> of the surgery.  Life is good.  The only downside is that my
>> intention to
>> attend Sowbug this year has been derailed by $3000.00 in medical
>> expenses
>> (since I was in the hospital in December and January, it get to pay
>> for two
>> years worth of deductibles).
>> I was really looking forward to seeing Tony again,  but my son is a
>> trucker,
>> and if he has a run this summer that comes within 200 miles of
>> Flippin, I'll
>> be there to visit (I'll call first).
>>
>> On Feb 14, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Anthony Spezio wrote:
>>
>> This called the "Miracle Inch". I use it a lot and get some
violent
>> strikes.
>> At first I would get a lot of break offs till I learned to keep the
>> line
>> loose in my line hand. I would "twitch" the nymph on the
drift let
>> it swing
>> and hold it there for a short. Then work it back up stream like a
>> wounded
>> minnow.
>> Tony

Strategies
>> for
>>> Casting, Rigging, And Moving the Nymphs"  By Rich Osthoff.
In the