From: woodenleg...@hotmail.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Re: good afternoon
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:09:00 -0500

 Don

I love doing the the teaching as I love fly tying it self.  Thanks for the
tips!!!!!!!

Jerry McKaughan,President
Caddis Fly Fishing Club
P O Box 85
Pottsville, AR 72858

From: f...@tribcsp.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:03:10 -0600

Jerry,

"You never learn something so thoroughly as when you have to teach it correctly
to those who know it inaccurately or not at all."
Me

As part of my consulting business, I teach process schools (seminars) to gas
plant and gathering operators.  Rarely are they trained properly by people who
themselves accurately know the processes.  Not having proper training is
life-threatening for them.

I've also taught flytying for 25 years, at clinics, sports shows, conclaves,
and privately.

Beginning fly tiers are less of a challenge than intermediate tiers, because
they are a blank slate to write on.  The way to deal with it is to set goals
for them and yourself- many small ones that are easy to achieve as steps to
greater acheivements.  As a teacher, not only do you need to know the material
at hand (fly-tying) but also learn a whole new art-form that's called
'teaching'.  Although anyone can teach at low levels, it's hard work to
overcome the challenges that a good teacher faces, because each student becomes
a goal unto himself.  So each beginning student has one general goal- to learn
fresh from the start.  The teacher, though, has many challenges, more than the
number of his students (like facilities, etc.), all presenting challenges for
the teacher to assist each of them in overcoming.

You won't be teaching tying a pattern near as much as you will be teaching
eye-to hand coordination training, materials and tools usage, overcoming vision
problems, 'jumbo-fingers' syndrome, TUI syndrome, nagging significant other
syndrome, financial shortcomings (a big one), lack of focus (not
intentionally), short-cut syndrome, left-handedness, absenteeism, and a myriad
of other challenges that come up.  (my experiences, at least)

If you love what you're doing, and have patience and perseverence, you'll enjoy
it.  Lose any of those, and it's a 'bummer, dude'.