Don,
My flashabou consists of very thin and straight  fibers, appr. 1 inch
long. It does not stick together in any way. therefore it is impossible
to form the starting teardrop for the rope process. What i do is to take
the material on my index and middle finger and then I do a starting
noodle on the thread with my thumb. 1 to 2 wraps to lock the flashabou
on the hook. Than I start roping.
When I anchor some flashabou on the hook without this noodle, more than
50% of the material is falling on the floor.
Rene