As far as I see Nick is using a canon camera. I used one years ago.
Canon is delivering some software with the camera which allows a remote
control of the device. That means you can control the camera, change
setup. At least with my camera, with the software you had more options
as with the camera itself.
But it usually needs Windows
Rene, on Linux