From: Chuck Alexander <chuckalexan...@hughes.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:34 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com; fly fishing for panfish
<flyfishingandflytyingforpanf...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [VFB] Tying Small Flies...

Folks: I have a question on tying flies smaller than , say, a size 16. Or a
size 14 in some cases. Like, how do you get all the materials tied into (or
onto LOL) a Royal Wolff)??I have been reading as much as I can about bluegill
fly fishing and fly tying,.and I was just reading about tying foam ants, and it
said NOT to tie bluegill flies too small as the bluegill has a strong sucking
power for insects that drop onto the surface of the water and they'd even take
a size 28 in a foam ant and would hurt themselves as they'd swallow a fly that
small all the way down their throat. So, it said to go to a bigger fly. like a
size 18 or a 20. Well, I can barely even see a size 18 or 20 hook, even with my
reading glasses on, much less tie a fly on one.  Does anybody here tie flies
regularly in a size 18 or smaller??? If so, what is your secret?? Thanks, Chuck