From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Tom Davenport
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:01 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Not a Dumb Question #1 (Shooting Heads)

OK, Jimmy has challenged us to admit that there is stuff that we don't know
and ask about it, so here I go:  I have never fished with a shooting head,
although I have read about them.  Do we have any shooting head experts out
there who use them regularly?  How do you cast and load them? What are the
main advantages/disadvantages?  Where do you get them, and are some brands
better than others?  Are they primarily made to use as a sinking line, or
can they be used dry as well?  Can you switch heads for different purposes?
How far should a good caster be able to cast one?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

On Jan 26, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Jimmy D. Moore wrote:

> Thanks DonO:  We have indeed lost members.  I just checked and as of
today, we have 200 members, a far cry from our high water mark of 600 +.
> Right now we're averaging 775 posts per month, which comes in at 29 VFB
posts per day.  775 sounded like a lot, but the 29 ain't much.  With 200
members, we should have lots more activity and we can if our members will
remember what the VFB was designed for - learning from each other and
passing on tips on fly fishing / tying.  Maybe some of us, not me and DonO,
are too bashful to pose a question or pose a comment. However, we all need
to remember that "THERE'S NO DUMB QUESTION WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER."
So, lets get cracking and ask those questions and pass along our fly fishing
and fly tying tips.  I do the Daily Quote and that generates a few comments,
but maybe I should pull in a few instructional quotes too.  Don't worry
about someone on the list jumping you for a comment you've made.  If they
do, it's usually done in fun. An example would be me chastising DonO for
being so long-winded.  Give him a word, just one little word, and he can
write a 5 page epistle on it. Banter is good, to a point and gives us a
chance to poke fun at one another. One thing for sure, as VFB Moderator, I
ain't gonna jump on anybody, at least not on List, so let's saddle up and
get the list Moving again.

> JIMMY D
>
> --

> JIMMY D. MOORE, ARS WB5RHT,author Moon Holler Misfits Fishing & Hunting
Club, Member, TOWA Past VP Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited, Member, North
Zone Fishing Editor Emeritus,
http://bigtroutman.tripod.com/index.html