Joyce,
The wings can be down, up, outward or inward. It depends on the pattern. In any
case they are tied in the same way. The biggest mistake most make on tying in
the wings is that they use the wrong part of the feather. If you hold the quill
up to a light, you will see a distinct line out from the stem. Some call it the
Blood line. If the barbs are cut off with the blood line on them when tying
them in at this point,, the barbs will split. Cut the section behind the blood
line to use as wings. If you leave these on, tie in the wings behind this line,
it is actually the softer part of the barbs. In most cases, use a marched set
of quills, right and left. Cut an equal number of barbs from each side, count
the barbs and use a dubbing needle to separate them. Match them up either up,
down, in or out. Place them in position and bring the thread up through your
holding fingers and drop the bobbin. This will put a light crease in the barbs.
Sometime taking a finger
 nail and pressing it where the thread is, forming a deeper crease will help,
Now pull straight down on the thread and bring it around back in the crease
while squeezing the wing as tight as you can with your two fingers. Make a
second wrap and the wings should be set. If you notice any rolling off to one
side, make the adjustment before the second thread wrap. Another way to make
the wing from a large feather ts to cut a wide section of barbs from one side.
Then "fold" them so that they match. In or out, up or down, tie them in as
above.. I hope this helps
If not, let me know.
Tony