Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:41:04 -1000
Subject: Re: [VFB] Vises
From: flyfish...@gmail.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com

Boy, Bob this is really a personal preference type of thing.  I started on a
Thompson A vise, then to a Renzetti Traveler and then a Regal.  A few years ago
I bought a NorVise.  I have tied on a few others.  Each seems to have its
particular strength and weakness.  If you enjoy your vise, don't change.  If it
no longer suits your needs there are lot's of vises and opinions.  I think Hans
W. did a fine article a few years back on vises that I think you could find on
the internet.  The best thing to do if you want to make a change is to find a
full service shop that has several of the vises that you are considering and
ask to tie on them.  Many will let you sit down and try them out (at least mine
did).  Lacking that if there is a tying group in your area find out when they
meet and sit with them and tie on theirs.  It's the best way to decide,
especially if you are thinking of stepping up to a much more expensive vise.

Mike