A 'good vise' is a vise that the individual likes and feels comfortable
with. I wouldn't consider a $700 vise a 'good vise' if I didn't like it...
maybe still a 'good quality vise', but not a 'good vise'.

If...
*... the individual is forgiving and doesn't care much about hooks slipping
now and then...
*... the individual is forgiving and doesn't care much about parts
wobbling...
*... the individual isn't a mass producing tyer needing high quality steel
in the jaws to make it last longer than a week...
... even the cheapest vise can be a very 'good vise'.

'Good quality' vises should hold hooks well, not have wobbling parts, be
able to last for a long time etc etc. There are many many vises qualifying
as 'good quality' vises. But from a list of quality vises, there's noone who
can tell you which one you will feel comfortable with.

I have a Griffin Montana Mongoose in one of my drawers, which by many is
considered a pretty good quality vise. I can just see it as a piece of
junk... a collection of design flaws... and an ergonomical nightmare. I have
discussed this vise a lot with Chris Helm, who shares my opinion to 100%.
(Quote) "The Montana Moosegoose should be melted down and sold for scraps."
(unquote) He doesn't even sell it. Still, I know several who love their
ones. I know several who love their Danvises too. I don't care much for my
own, but I HAVE liked it very much once. Today I use a couple of Dyna-Kings
which I feel more comfortable with... while the guy I meet every week at our
tying night is tying at the same vise model he has used for the last 20
years... the one he made in his own garage. He is on his THIRD one now,
which starts to show signs of wanting to get a rest. Which will be his next
one? Will it be a Dyna-King... Renzetti perhaps... or maybe even a LAW?
Hardly... LOL

Hans Weilenmann said it best: "One man's dream is another man's nightmare."

/Nick