I did a show in Oklahoma this past week and got some Opal Tinsel from a vendor.
Most of my tying at the show was Traditional Wet flies bit I did find time to
get a sz 16 Caddis tied with the Opal body. I used a Blue "Feather wing". It
looked real good. When we got home this afternoon the water was down and the
Caddis working the water. I was tired from the three hour trip and tying three
days but I had to give it a shot. I had not fished traditional Wets in years so
I took a reject Professor Wet , tied it on and made a cast off the dock. On the
first cast a nice brown took the fly on the first strip. Made several more
casts and hooked up a few more times. By this time I was really tired and
decided to quit for a while. I had not had any hits in another bunch of casts.
It seemed that all they wanted was the Caddis. A couple of hours later, I
decided to go back down to the dock with the Caddis I had tied. Water was
coming back up and moving along pretty
 fast but the Trout were still working the Caddis. Made a cast and I don't
think the Opal Body Caddis hit the water, a brown  about 18" took it. I had it
almost to the landing net when it made a run. The guard rail in the way and I
had the line in the rail , he broke off. That was the end of that fly. First
cast  with that fly and got broke off. Went back up to the house, got some
stuff out and tied another in the "Tent Wing" version real quick and dirty.
Water was really up now and a lot of moss and other stuff coming down. Still
some trout working. It took sevetal drifts befote I caught the first Rainbow..
Several more drifts and a Brown. I got four more Trout before I decided
cleaning moss off the fly from the moss that was coming down was a bit more
than I wanted to put up with. I was leaving the dock and a big splash just
behind the dock. I had to give it a try. Pulled out some line. made a false
cast them laid the fly on the water. A big boil and
 I missed. When the line came back from the miss, the tippet wrapped around the
dock cable too far out for me to reach. Trying to work it loose, I broke the
tippet, the fly is still hanging on the cable..
I will have to get some Caddis tied tomorrow if I get the time. I want to be
ready if we have another Caddis Hatch like we had today.
David, thanks for putting me on to this. I think with this Caddis I may get on
to dry fly fishing yet.
Tony