  From: Don Ordes
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:08 PM
  Subject: Re: [VFB] How to preserve elk hyde?

  Alan,

  Any taxidermy shop can help you through the multi-step process, but an
overview for tannning that will give you a soft leather hide like you find in
shops is on Wiki:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning

  It is involved, and when I wanted hides tanned, I brought them into a tannery
and he added them to his batches for a minimal fee.  My suggestion, if you
don't actually want to learn it yourself.  If you do, there's different methods
depending on the results you want.

  I would love to know how Wapsi gets their hides done.  The leather is awesome
and the hair is never brittle.

  Hope this helps.