Sorry, my solar calculator is not working very well.  At $3.50 per bag of 25
hooks, that's 14 cents per hook.
  From: Don Ordes
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:28 AM
  Subject: [VFB] Hook Co-op swap like the Whiting Co-op swap- suggestion

  GANG,

  The dry-fly hooks I'm looking at are priced @ $30.71 per 1000.  General hook
prices range for different styles from $20 to $60 per 1000.  The $60 ones (per
1000) are the long sweep nymph-hooks in the #4 size, which would be expected. I
think the most expensive I see are #1 long streamer hooks @ $0.12 per hook.
They are provided by Larva-Lace, so it's not some fly-by-night company.

  That's rediculously inexpensive @ .03 to .06 cents per hook.  Grab your
calculators, these are inexpensive, but they have to be bought in bulk.

  Bags of 25 hooks are $3.50 or more at the shops, which is 1.75 cents per hook
& up.

  If someone could meister a swap similar to the co-op swap for the Whiting
hackles like we did, then each person could buy a $30+/- bag (avg. cost) of
hooks.  Ten people could join and buy a pre-perscribed bag- size and style,
from a most used/wanted list. Depending on  how many hooks you need, you could
buy in at more than one group. Then the meister could divide the bags into
tenths and we'd each have 100 each of 10 different size hooks for $40* (total
cost).

  1. The meister would need to be someone with some time on his/her hands that
has the time to count out or weigh out the hooks.  An accurate postage scale
would be sufficient to divide hooks out by weight rather than count, and that
would save a lot of time.  The scaled counts may be a couple of hooks off, but
at .03 cents a hook, who cares?  Boxes of 100 hooks used to be off by that much.

  2.  Each person would buy a hook per size from Hagen's and drop-ship them to
the meister.

  *3. Each person will send postage for the weight (to e determined after
divvying one group up) of the selection in a SASE envelope plus 10 small
baggies to make it easier on the meister.  They could include a tip for the
meister for his/her efforts.  A $3 tip from nine swappers would pay the
meister's hooks off as a payment for the efforts.  So add $3 + $2 S&H, + $35
for the hooks, and the investment would be $40.

  So a $40 investment will net you 1000 hooks of 100 each of 10 sizes.  That's
a lot of hooks to tie up.  That's .04 cents per hook.  As swapmeister, you'd
get your hooks for almost free for your investment in time.  You may, although,
get called strange names, being a hookermesiter.

  Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  If you are still on the list, this is where the
VFB has been an opportunity in the past- bulk buying strength.  The Whiting
co-op swaps were very successful.  Now that Byard is no longer involved, we are
not competing against his shop, or else this would go through him for some
profit to him.

  If you all order a catalog with your hook purchase, this hook swap may just
be the beginning of bulk-swaps as they offer all kinds of stuff at whole-sale
prices.  I called Hagen's and they are fine with this arrangement.
  I'd also join up for a saltwater hook swap.

  Lure-makers take note as the catalog has much for you.  You could set up a
lure-component swap and get bulk material prices even tough you are not a
retail shop.

  Fresh-water dry-fly/wet-fly group: (hooks to be determined: dry-fly, wet-fly,
egg, scud)

  1.  DonO
  2.
  3.
  4.
  5.
  6.
  7.
  8.
  9.
  10.  SWAPMEISTER: (Chuck? Your re-coup time could be measuring hooks and get
free hooks)