I think that sometimes the wire rib also helps to define the segments of the
fly and it adds a bit of weight and extra flash. For instance, a  Czech
nymph pattern, as tied by the originators, often has two ribs, one of gold
tinsel or wire, that is used to make flash, and a clear mono that is a rib
over the shell to hold it down.  Weight is added separately with lead wire.
Joyce