If double hauling is your thing and you need to reach way out and shoot
line, then the slickness of the guides will dramatically help your cast. Buy
the very best ceramic inserts you can buy. Don't buy the cheap knock offs,
buy Fuji and do all the guides, the stripper, and the tip top. Begin each
fishing session with a clean and lubricated line or none of this will amount
to much. Personally I would only do this on salt water rods or maybe salmon
or steelhead rods. If you are casting beyond 50 or so feet in fresh water
for trout then I have to question how you can cast to a particular rising
fish, or see even a size 14 adams, let alone a size 20 midge. Or for that
matter, how do you get a good drift with multiple currents between you and
the fish?

Just to give you guys an idea of how gimmicky this stuff can be, just a
decade ago teflon coated guides were available for custom rod builders and
they didn't last long. Unfortunately fishing equipment is subject to the
same rules of consumerism as anything else. Consumers get bored with
otherwise outstanding products if they are not tweaked and labeled
"improved" over last year's model. If you look over time, the first guides
were just a tip top guide and you beached the fish after swinging a brace of
a dozen or more flies through a pool of fish. Then someone decided they
wanted to retrieve the line, so they added trumpet guides and then later
floppy ring guides sometime around or after the Civil War. Snake guides were
used prior to the turn of the century, but didn't catch on for a couple of
decades. After WW2 there were several short lived guides with cork screws or
other catchy gimmicks. REC recoil guides are interesting, but they have yet
to saturate the market. Buy what makes you happy, and rest easy that if you
don't like them, they are fairly inexpensive compared to anything else going
on the rod and they can be replaced if you don't like them. A lot of this is
psychological. So if you have already made up in your mind what will make
you happy on a rod, then by all means satisfy that desire. If you build a
rod you love, then you will fish it more often, and that is a good thing.

The Sharkskin lines cast a lot like the old silk lines. They make a lot of
noise, but they do cast well. But I don't have much need for long distance
casts.

Scott