I've made a new friend who has terminal esophageal-liver cancer.  I heard about
his predicament from another friend who mentioned that he enjoyed fishing, so I
knocked on his door, introduced myself, and told him that I lived in the
neighborhood, had a boat, and was looking for someone who could  go fishing
with me during the day. He was excited about the idea, so we have hooked up
three times, fishing at our local reservoirs with slight success: We were
skunked once, and caught one fish each on the other two outings.  It really
didn't matter much to either of us, we enjoyed getting to know each other and
just being out fishing.

Well, the friend who told me about Marty (the fellow with cancer) is a
contractor, who back in the real estate gravy days built a beautiful cabin on
forty acres of mountain land in northern Utah. It is located above Logan
Canyon,  a beautiful canyon created by the Logan River, which is one of Utah's
top 10 fly fishing streams.  The property had a natural spring on it, so he dug
out a pond and stocked it with 400 Rainbow trout, which have now grown to an
average size of 15 to 18 inches.  He is new to fly fishng, and he wanted to
take me and Marty out to fish on his pond.  He said, "Maybe you can show me
some flies that will catch these fish".  I thought maybe I could.

It was a perfect day, calm, with temperatures in the 80's.  We had a pleasant 1
hour drive to get there.  First we took a tour of the large beautiful log
cabin, then drove down to the pond, which was located in a treeless meadow.  It
was beautiful clear spring water, with a green, plant covered bottom and full
of fish.  Instead of bolting from the shore, they flocked to us when we
arrived, anticipating being fed.  I thought to myself "Gee, the challenge here
will be NOT catching fish", and I was right.

Doug showed me a bunch of flies he had bought, and asked which one I thought he
should use.  I suggested a size 16 bead head pheasant tail he had.  He was
skeptical, since it was so small.  I told him to just cast it out, strip it
back slowly and hang on.  Of course it worked, he was soon hauling in a fish
every cast.

Marty wanted to fish on top, and showed me his flies.  His box was full of old
style wet flies with mallard duck wings, but he had a size 16 Adams.  I tied it
on his line (Marty has lost feeling in his fingers because of chemo treatments)
and HE was soon hauling in fish.

I decided to try to NOT catch fish.  I tied on a large Cherynoble Ant and cast
as far away as I could from the main school. Fish would slam it when it hit,
but the thing had so much foam on it that I couldn't set the hook. So I tried
an Air Head, a Gary LaFontaine fly made from packaging foam.  That was a good
no fish catcher. I tried several other outlandish flies in my box, and was
pleasantly surprised to find out it was possible to not catch fish in this
pond.

But now the pressure was on.  I was the supposed expert, and the only one not
catching fishing.  So tied on an Adams with a BHPT dropper, and of course
started catching fish on every cast.  After about 10 fish I was bored.

Now, I have had a day on Yellowstone Lake where I was hauling in a beautiful,
wild Cutthroat on every cast, and never got tired of doing it!  Ditto for
Strawberry reservoir, where on one cold spring day, I was fishing the ice edges
in my pontoon boat and literally couldn't keep fish off my line.  If I was
untangling my stripped line and my wooly bugger was dangling in the water, a
fish would grab it before I could get the line untangled.  Why was it so much
fun? Because on most days, you are thrilled if you hook into one or two fish
each hour!

Ying and Yang. Not catching fish is as important to the sport as catching them.