To: <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [VFB] Cold climate fishing, was Sow Bug Alumni signup update

I have (in the past) fished when it was so cold that the guides on my fly rod filled with ice. Not any more. But then, I don't do a lot of things that I used to do. I can be lured out to play in the snow on my 4-wheeler ( Harriet, the chariot ). I don't have too much trouble staying warm in that setting, but the water and wind bring a whole new dimension to the concept of sanity. I did fall out of the boat into the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry wearing a parka and chest waders. It was during Christmas break. Colder than a tin toilet seat in Alaska. But that's another story.

Larry J

"Don Ordes" <f...@tribcsp.com> 10/20/2010 8:59 AM >>>
Larry,
We too have our winter-fishing fanatics, and at one time I was one of them.
This was before the advent of cold-climate fly lines, so line management was
problematic.  It would be below freezing, so I'd dip the rod under the water
to de-ice the guides.  I myself also would be warmer below water, since that
wasn't subject to the biting wind chill, as I would have insulated pants on.
But even with all of the cold-climate gear, I would still only be able to
stay out on the river for an hour or so, depending on the wind speed.
I still see drift-boats going down the river until ice-up.  So there are
some real die-hards out there.
I'd prefer to buy a ticket to the Keys at that time.

DonO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Johnson" <johns...@uvu.edu>