From: Tom Davenport <t...@comcast.net>
Subject: [VFB] Some observations about fly movement under water
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 12:26 PM

Over the years I have made a lot of assumptions about how a fly looks and
behaves underwater,  based on observations made while fishing.  But I ashamed
to admit that until yesterday, I had never bothered to attach a fly to a piece
of tippet and swim it around in the 100 gallon aquarium that has been sitting
right next to my fly tying bench for the last 20 years!  I did that yesterday
to see if this Chinese crystal I have been using as bead heads on Wooly Buggers
flashed as much underwater as it does in the air (it does) but became more
interested in how all of the components of the flies were performing.  So I
attached a dozen of the different styles of buggers I have been tying onto
tippet and swum them all. I was surprised by what was actually going on.  Here
are some of the things I noticed:

1. All marabou isn't created equal. If you look closely at a marabou feather it
consists of a bunch of smaller shafts each containing filoplumes.  It seems
that the tiny shafts with the biggest and fluffiest filoplumes, move the best.
As a result, a wooly bugger tail made from the tip end of the feather doesn't
move as well as one made from the side shafts IF the tips are thinner and not
as fluffy.

2. Flies made with mohair look a great deal like a fly that has been hackled,
except they have more motion.  When you pull it out of the water, the fly might
become swept back and streamlined, put it pops right back to its original shape
as soon as it is back in the water. And,  a mohair fly with a marabou tail has
a lot more movement that one with just mohair.  Saddle hackles pretty much
stick out straight, there isn't a lot of movement.  They may be creating some
sort of water disturbance that the fish can hear, but based on what I saw in my
aquarium, mohair has a lot more life like movement while looking remarkably
like hackle.

3.  "Spectrumized" mohair (a color created by mixing several dissimilar colors
together, like the Canadian series of mohairs) really does look more lifelike
under water.

4. Flashabou in the tail of a wooly bugger  has very little movement itself,
but visually creates a lot of flash as the fly "jigs".  And it doesn't seem to
impair the movement of the marabou tail at all.  Also, marabou tails made of
several colors (like the "Thin Mint" bugger that uses black, brown and olive)
create an even stronger illusion of motion.

5. A fly with the weight in front (like a glass or metal bead) is constantly
trying to nose dive and does a lot of jigging with any kind of erratic movement.

6. Hooks with eye bent downward (the default design on most hooks) tend to ride
with the hook up during retrieval, straight eyed hooks not so much.

Today I tied a bugger based on these observations and it looked pretty good
under water. It has a blended tail (olive-brown) made from the sides of marabou
feathers,  a body made of chenille with red and blue  and black flash
incorporated into the design, and I "hackled it" with spectrumized olive-brown
mohair in a red copper wire dubbing loop.  I made the mohair very sparse.  I
liked the way it looked and moved in the water, but will have to wait a while
to see if the fish like it!  But I like the idea of using Mohair in place of
hackle, and will tie up a bunch more with this technique.

Tom