Ashley: That might just be. They would make good "San Juan Worm" hooks I think.
And like I said, I used them for a caterpillar hook,  Chuck
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ashley strutt
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [VFB] Mustad hooks cheap

  Well, I maybe cann't although my guess is that these originated as bait
hooks, possibly worm.

  I tried wikipedia and even they don't know.

  I have trying off and on over the years to figure it out myself, one of the
greatest unanswered questions. The explaination of being a worm hook is the
closet I've come to answering it.

  Wondering if DonO knows, actually, haven't seen him on list for a while,
getting concerned.

  Ashley

    I have no idea why they are called English bait hooks. Having fished the
first 28 years of my life in England, both as a bait fisher and fly fisher, I
never came across this style of hook.  Maybe Ashley can shed some light on this?

    Neville (Nev) Gosling