I don't know so much as about warm water, but along at least the East Coast
trout streams that I am aware of we have vast numbers of tiny green
caterpillars that are active right now and up through the next few more
weeks. They cover the trees as the leaves first unfold in the spring when
they are the most tender and nutrient dense. They are often seen dangling
like a spider from a tiny thread of silk. If you park under a tree it will
become immediately clear just how prolific they are. Trout love them, and
the most popular pattern out here is called the green weenie. On streams
with tight canopies it is worth trying this pattern first from early spring
right up until early summer.

Regards,

Scott