I sent the following by direct email to Hendry.

By the way, the Beaverkill Valley Inn has 1 mile of
private water catch and release water on the upper Beaverkill just like 2 miles
north of Lew Beach, NY. The 'wall pool' is like no more than 300 feet away
where I have caught 22 inch rainbows at the head of the pool many times
because the BVI is catch and release. This pool is quite long. There
are three great pools to fish and twice as many riffles also. There is the bend
pool further south, may 800 feet away. If you are lucky enough to
know someone from the Beaverkill Trout Club a couple of miles south of the BVI,
they have 6 miles of private water. You would like to fish within walking
distance of the motel/Bed & Breakfast and be in NIRVANA? Well this is
it!!! it sounds like you want to make a summer trip. The water will be cool
enough to hold the fish even through August and warm enough to wet wade. Bing
Maps the Birds Eye view of the address and you will get an idea of their
property.

The nice thing about the BVI, is that you must cross the Barnhart Road bridge
to get to their property. Their property is separated from the Beaverkill
Valley Road by the river.

>From the BVI you can get to the East Branch of the
Delaware, which has many access points for wade fishing. In August it will
still be ice cold from water releases early in the morning, 40 degree range
from the bottom of the Pepacton Reservoir Dam in Downsville NY. It is like
natures own A/C on a 95 degree August day.

They have an indoor
swimming pool, indoor basketball court and a self serve ice cream bar.
Breakfast is part of your room charge. Last year weekdays were $167/ night and
Sunday is a weekday. They serve lunch and dinner, if need be at an additional
price. Full course dinners were $50/person with soup, salad, entre and desert.
Sometimes with dinner, they have a cocktail hour with hors d'Ĺ“uvres. It just
depends on how many
people will be at dinner. They have a nice little bar with good spirits a
plenty, fine wine and many craft beers. Tipping is not permitted. If they are
not serving dinner, you are allowed to eat at the homeowners association club
bar in Lew Beach.

There is a wonderful wraparound
porch for sitting and reading. There are many trails for hiking but it is black
bear country so please bring bear mace and/or fog horns. Just Google either and
make your choice. I always carry bear mace, a small horn and one 5 inch bowie
knife as a last resort.

>From the BVI, you can go
fish the covered bridge on the upper Beaverkill NY state park area a few miles
away. There is a deep pool there. You can go north on route 206 out of
Roscoe and before you cross the Beaverkill River Bridge, there is a torn off on
your left to the Beaverkill River. Back down 206 towards Roscoe, there is
another access point. And of Course there is the famous Junction Pool (the
Beaverkill and Willowemoc meet to form the lower Beaverkill.

There is a cute little
creek with two turn offs for fishing, Mongaup Creek. It is up Mongaup Road
which is off of DeBruce Road out of Livingston Manor. Mongaup is a tributary to
the Upper Willowemoc, upstream from Livingston Manor. The turnoff to the pool,
which I always fish, is the one with the v formed plank dam, the second one
after driving up on Mongaup Road. Do not step out onto the dam. It is slick as
goat shit. Plus I am not sure that it would support any weight because of its
age. A vist to the hatchery on Mongaup creek is worthwhile. It is fed by 1,500
gallons daily of spring water, which just emptys into the lower Mongaup Creek
where the plank dam is, insuring water even during a hot dry
summer month.

Just plop a size 16
royal wullf to the far side and let the back wash drift it into the foam and
pretty little 14 inch rainbows will bolt from the depth underneath the foam and
take your presentation. Mongaup Creek houses the Mongaup Creek NY State
Hatchery further on up the road so Google map it and you will find the road to
the aforementioned fishing spot.

Depending on the time of
year, which you may go, you will have to check local info as to local craft
fairs etc.

The only fly shop,
to which I go, is the Catskills Fly Shop. Dennis, the owner, is very
friendly but do not be put off by his sarcasm, if he displays any. It is so
much a part of his charm. He will give you all the help, which you need, to
choose the right flies etc. He will chit chat with you endlessly especially
when he goes outside to roll a cigarette and have a smoke. Just follow him out
and keep chatting. Walter, who works for him is certified to guide at the BVI,
if you want to hire a guide. Walter is a great guy. I have been to the other
shops but have been put off by their abruptness and down right ignoring my
presence. At his shop, you can buy a map of the East Branch and hire a guide,
if you want to float the East Branch or for that manner the West Branch, which
is further away.

Roscoe has many great
shops. My wife's favorite store is 'Annies Place'. There is a wonderful pottery
store in town, which has just started and has great prices. There is a circle
of towns, which my wife likes to visit: Walton, Delhi, Andes and Margaretville,
who have great stores, even a white witches store in Delhi, if it is still
open.

In Roscoe, there is the
Roscoe Diner, Raimondos Pizza, a good Hamburger Bar north up route 206 out of
Roscoe on the left hand side, and Piccolos a fine Italian Restaurant in Liberty
just east and south of Roscoe at an Old Ho Jos.

There is no
cell phone service at the BVI but they do have Wi-Fi for your ipads.

Attached are free maps from the New York State Department of Environmental
Conservation. There are others at

www.dec.ny.gov

Pardon my mis-spellings in the email below.

Below is the URL for the BVI.

http://www.beaverkillvalleyinn.com/index.html

There are other places: The DeBruce Inn and The Guest House on the Willowemoc.

http://www.debrucecountryinn.com/

http://www.theguesthouse.com/

And of course the is the fabulous and stupendous West Branch Angler on the West
Branch of the Delaware.

http://www.westbranchresort.com/

Well, I could go on and
on but call me or email me, if you have any questions.

Mike
Barrett

21133
West View

Wharton,
NJ 07885

Mobile
Phone: 201-841-3775

From: scott.bear...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 14:26:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [VFB] Vacation in the Poconos or Catskills
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com

I vote for Roscoe, NY as well. Lots of places to stay where you can walk right
out to a trout stream. Some places are mere motels and rather spartan and
others are nicer. The Roscoe Motel has the Beaverkill right out behind your
room within 50 ft, but its a motel and I don't know how well that will go over
with the women if they are looking for something a little nicer to vacation in.
The Catskills is full of arts and crafts stuff, lots of antique shops, etc.
There are boundless bed and breakfast places I would look into. There are lots
of places and things to do within 1 hour's drive of Roscoe and the drives are
very scenic. Plus as Tony mentioned, the Catskills Fly Fishing Center and
Museum is just down the road in Livingston Manor which the girls may not be
interested in, but you and your son would be.

Regards,
Scott

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Anthony Spezio <bambot...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The Catskill FF Museum is about 7 miles from there in Livingston Manor.Tony

    On Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:10 PM, Mike Barrett <jmbarr...@msn.com>
wrote:

    There is only one place, The Beaverkill Valley Inn. Google their web site.
I fish there all the time.Sent from my iPad

On Jan 2, 2014, at 7:27 PM, Bob Hendry <bhen...@cheerful.com> wrote:

Greetings, and Happy New
Year to all!

I am soliciting suggestions from any of you familiar with fishing in NE
PA and W NY.  Instead of vacationing again at the beach in Wildwood,
I'd like to take the family up a bit further north in the mountains
(Poconos or Catskills) where fly fishing opportunities abound, AND
where the GIRLS, who are NOT fishergirls, can find alternative
entertainment.  I'm a little familiar with Hawley, PA (Lake Wallenpaupack -
used to fish there as a
child).  That was more than 50 years ago . . .

They would like to visit museums, historic sites & points of
interest, local craft fairs, etc. The boy and I would like to fish
within walking distance of the motel/Bed & Breakfast.

In other words, a NIRVANA.  8 ~ }  Any and all suggestions are very
welcome.

Cheers,