This looks like a very familiar item, each of us 7 kids had one of these and we fished on the side of Cape Cod canal and caught a occasional striper, circa 7th grade. It became a safety issue when the local enforcer noticed 7 kids with feet hanging over the edge of the canal fishing, some as young as 6, but we didn't talk or move around, it would scare the fish away. After that we all went surf casting with Dad, including till early morning on school days. He thought is was a science lesson, the school a Dad not in charge and or nuts.

He taught all the girls how to navigate and read the stars to find location and my brother to mend nets, he has made the most from fishing. And commercial fishing is in decline as well, it's global now.

Dad was a commercial fisherman, the traditional wood dragger, until he thought up a steel hull, and had one made, the first in the world, patterned after the old wooden Curlew and the thought came from a navy ship. It changed his career over night, but he always stayed with one 50' long boat, he thought the rest was to much for the resource, and he was correct.

Peggy