I'll check out the UTC, sounds perfect.  I haven't tried it yet.  I have to
be honest, most of the reason I shy away from tying salmon flies is that my
rough hands tear the silk to shredded frayed messes.  I think I'll try the
UTC but stay clear of the silk thread - just my personal preference, not
that it is a bad suggestion in any means, I'm sure it would be perfect, but
with my sandpaper mitts, and knowing what silk thread costs *typically*,
I'd prefer to not even try it.  Just my preference, no offense intended.
Thanks for the UTC suggestion, I'm going to pick up a spool and try it!
-Pete