I initially declined to post, but I think it's even more relevant now. I
just had to replace my GTX 970 for very similar symptoms. While using it
via vfio/passthrough, I'd occasionally see the screen go black or freeze,
but the VM was responsive (sound, network working). I ended up taking a
backup and cleaning off all my disks, and putting Windows on the metal to
troubleshoot. I eventually came up with a sequence of apps/games that
triggered a black screen crash, documented it to my OEM, and got an RMA
replacement. Replacement does not have the same crashes, and I'm putting my
Linux install back onto the metal shortly and retesting, but I expect the
issue has cleared.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Alex Williamson <alex.l.william...@gmail.com