TL, DR version is that my very recently purchased X399 board, died before I got.a chance to test iommu, amd im wondering if I should have it replaced or refunded in order to try something from Intel instead.

========

The price of an Asus X399 board along with a 1950x temporarily came down in price not long ago so I purchased the combo.

Unfortunately, after all the setup and literally right after setting up Linux and finding IOMMU in the bios the board stopped posting.

I'm sure the apparently failed board has nothing to do.with IOMMU, nonetheless after trying and failing to get multiseat working on X58 boards, I am concerned enough that it won't work on X399 either that I'm considering switching back to Intel.

What I've found on the subject is mixed.  While not explicitly mentioning multiseat, one Linux developer was able to get passthrough working with an Asrock board as well as at least one other mb.  Then again, a few seemingly less knowledgeable people complained of not being able to get VMs to boot at all on the platform.

The core count for the price is appealing with the 1950x.  That said, the fact that a major bug with virtualization (npt) was just discovered after 9 years may indicate how little AMD chips have been used for servers.

If I am to switch and avoid a restocking fee, it would be easier now that I have a defective board.

Furthermore, most of the time only the host and one guest will be running, so a lower core count in exchange for higher clock rates may be preferable anyway.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian