On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 4:33 PM Roger Lawhorn <r...@twc.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an nvidia 980 ti oc 6gb card.
> I cannot use it with qemu as a passthrough card.
> I have had to passthrough my amd cards only.
> I have read of nvidia making it impossible to use some of their cards in
> virtual machines.
> Is this true? Is there a workaround?
> I had a laptop with a nvidia 880m optimus and it worked fine.
>
> The card stops at the option rom (if you use debug mode you can see this).
> So, this is not where I get to windows and then have an issue.
> Windows cannot even start booting.

Have you followed any guides or howtos for this?  Keywords like "vfio",
"nvidia", "geforce" turn up thousands of hits on google.  I've done a talk
on it, that plus more hands on videos from others are also on youtube.
Optimus is generally much harder to get working than discrete cards.
Stopping at the option ROM might mean we're not reading it properly from
the GPU, it might need to be provided separately.  There are all sorts of
guides online to do that as well.  Thanks,

Alex