On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Yv Lin <yvl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Btw, IOMMUv2 can support peripheral page request (PPR) so in theory if an
> end point pcie device can support ATS/PRI, pinning down all memory is not
> necessary, does current vfio driver or qemu has corresponding support to
> save pinned memory?

I think you're very much over estimating the difference between
VFIO_TYPE1_IOMMU and VFIO_TYPE1v2_IOMMU, if this is what you're referring
to.  The difference is only subtle unmapping semantics, none of what you
mention above.

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM Yv Lin <yvl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>> thanks for the detailed explanation. it does clarify more to me. I read
>> the vfio_listener_region_add() more carefully. It seems check every
>> memory region against container's host window, for IOMMUv1 vfio device, the
>> host window is always 64bit full range (vfio_host_win_add(container, 0,
>> (hwaddr)-1, info.iova_pgsizes); in vfio_connect_container()), so basically
>> mean all memory region will be pinned and mapped to host IOMMU, is the
>> understanding right?

The listener maps everything within the address space of the device, the
extent of that address space depends on whether a vIOMMU is present and
active.  When there is no vIOMMU, the full address space of the VM is
mapped.  Thanks,

Alex