I've been attempting to make VMs work on a couple of pieces of hardware, with passed through GPU as well as USB and audio.  In both cases I've generally been successful, but there have been hurdles.  In particular I've found it difficult to get some sounds cards to work when passed through to a VM, in particular with windows but also with Linux.

Before I get into specifics, I want to ask: what's the general procedure for getting <insert PCI device here> to work properly with windows (whichever version) when passed through to a guest VM?  Is it worth trying at all, if it doesn't work first try?  Has anyone gone as far as, say, attempting to track down what a binary driver is doing wrong and patching it?