On Mon, 07 Mar 2022 22:13:01 +0000
"Bronek Kozicki" <b...@incorrekt.com> wrote:

> I know, this is such an old topic ...
>
> I have today upgraded my hypervisor from intel Ivy-Bridge to AMD Epyc
> Milan and, after making the necessary adjustments in vfio
> configuration to make my virtual machines work again, I found that
> there's immense amount of crackling (like, many times per second) in
> audio, both in Linux and in Windows guests. The audio is USB DAC
> connected through USB, and USB is on passed-through PCI (dedicated
> for guest).
>
> The host has two AMD 7413 CPUs, with lots of cores dedicated to
> guests:
>
> video=efifb:off iommu=pt amd_iommu=on add_efi_memmap
> nohz_full=6-35,54-83 rcu_nocbs=6-35,54-83 isolcpus=6-35,54-83
> nvme.poll_queues=12

Getting interrupt bypass to work on AMD (AVIC) is rather more finicky
than the equivalent on Intel (APICv).  Have a look at this pointer and
see if you can get it working:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/svm-avic-iommu-avic-improves-interrupt-performance-on-zen-2-etc-based-processors/155226

When working correctly, you should essentially stop seeing interrupt
counts increase in /proc/interrupts on the host for any vfio MSI
vectors.  Thanks,

Alex