Philipp Ineichen wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Actually I am encountering the same problem. Any suggestions will be
>appreciated.
>
>Philipp
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I've been unable to get two USB CPIA cameras to work reliably on the
>>same machine at more or less the same time. . . .

Well, as my message suggested, try semaphores.  After my last query to
this list, I fixed up my semaphore modifications for motion 2.6.2 a bit
and now I can reliably get two cameras to work capturing continuously on
the same machine for several weeks without problems.

I have placed my hacked up versions of motion 2.6.2 at:

http://www.interstice.com/drewes/motion-2.6.2-with-semaphore.tgz

My modifications have been noted in the code with my initials, "RPD".
 Please note that this code is a bit hacky and should probably be
cleaned up in several ways.  For example, you must start the motion
process for /dev/video0 *first* since only the motion process on
/dev/video0 will attempt to initialize the SYSV semaphores.  If you
start /dev/video1 first, the semaphores will not exist and things won't
work.  In your startup script, pause for 5 seconds or so between the
startup of the motion process on /dev/video before you attempt to start
the other video devices.

Sorry I don't have time right now to prepare patches, but at the current
state of the code it isn't ready for mainstream use anyway.

Rich