Response follows the quote

> On Jul 28, 2005, at 11:50 PM, LeanBackVids.com wrote:
>
> Pete and I are here in Seattle pounding beers when we thought of a
> great intro to these "conferences".  It would be cool to get a bunch
> of us saying the same sentence (slowly, word for word).  Then edit it
> together to get a communal affect.  Come on give us a break, the booze
> made us touchy feely.  Anyways, it would be moving.
>
> We'd love to get help coming up with an intro sentence.
>
> Also, it may be hard to distribute the high-quality movies required to
> edit in full screen.  (Bre made the great request to make the Seattle
> event all high quality).
>
> Let us know what you think.  Just a few thoughts...
>
> "Welcome, we are now broadcasting to you over the Internet."
>
> "Together we can experience each others' lives."
>
> "We are the media."
>
> -- Matt
> --------------------------------------
> http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/

I know I'm late to this thread, and it has sort of descended into humor
and tech speak, but I can't believe I didn't see this suggested... the
Truffaut quote.

It seems perfect, made for multiple voices, a good length, but very
quick and great for quick editing. It's not to tired is it?

> "The film of tomorrow appears to me as even more personal than an
> individual and autobiographical novel, like a confession, or a diary.
> The young filmmakers will express themselves in the first person and
> will relate what has happened to them. It may be the story of their
> first love or their most recent; of their political awakening; the
> story of a trip, a sickness, their military service, their marriage,
> their last vacation...and it will be enjoyable because it will be
> true, and new...The film of tomorrow will not be directed by civil
> servants of the camera, but by artists for whom shooting a film
> constitutes a wonderful and thrilling adventure. The film of tomorrow
> will resemble the person who made it, and the number of spectators
> will be proportional to the number of friends the director has. The
> film of tomorrow will be an act of love."

For further inspiration or simply to make sure we're all on the same
page with the concept of splicing together multiple voices, check out
Sony's "Double life" commercial for the playstation. It's exquisite.

http://analogik.com/article_ps2_dl.asp

Video here:
http://nz.playstation.com/assets/life-style/ads/double_life_movie.mov

Exquisite as it is though, I think we can totally kick it's ass.
Please, go with me on this.  I have a bigger vision still. I call it
"The Film of Tomorrow Project"

==============================
The Film of Tomorrow Project
==============================

First, we create a website (or simply use Ourmedia) where ANYONE and
everyone can contribute a stock video of themselves or another reciting
the Truaffat quote...

This collection in itself will be quite amazing. Like a "we are not
afraid" project.  We make it completely creative commons to encourage
remixing. To keep it simple we can request that all source videos must
be uploaded by the owners to Ourmedia, thus we kill two birds with one
stone. We ensure source videos are both archival, and Ourmedia
automatically ensures they are creative commons. On our media we simply
tag the videos with "the-film-of-tomorrow-project". Ourmedia hence
becomes the host and sponsor of this project. I know they'll love the
attention it will bring them. ;)

Second, under the freedom the creative commons licenses give us we can
all mix our own versions of the Truffaut quote using the source footage
just like Matt originally proposed.  Except instead of just one or two
final mixes everyone and anyone can make their own. We can add any
background footage, sounds, images, clips of our own, whatever we like.
The quote is open for interpretation.

In this way we can each create our own homages to the idea, our own
interpretations. It's very fractal in nature, each video will be it's
own voice, each video contains the voices of dozens of others....
highly self referential, thick with layers and meaning like a woven
tapestry.  It can be a living breathing collaborative art project, an
ode to our heritage and culture of remixing. Most importantly it is an
ode to not just "making media", but to the practice of "being the
media". This is to say we're creating anew and we're reinterpreting
what is there so our audience knows what we are passionate about. We'll
be bubling up.

As time progresses much like fan flicks this stock footage can be
remixed with new footage to make it new and relevant. It will grow and
adapt as new people take an interest in video blogging and the project.
I'm thinking people will mix in photos and clips of their lives, touch
on timely issues in the world, who knows what people will dream up it's
a highly creative bunch.

Each finished video will be much like what I see in all your videos, a
spectacular film unto itself, but of course as everything we make or do
some will have a more common appeal and bubble to the top. Those will
start to bring outside public appeal to the project, ourmedia and video
blogging. We will have built an engine that will be fueled with fresh
ideas, events and the new recruits it attracts.

Finally, if we like, as the project successfully evolves we can curate
an ongoing collection of submitted finished videos on a "the film of
tomorrow" website. Otherwise we can just allow these videos to bubble
up naturally through Mefeedia, Ourmedia, Delicious and the vlogosphere
as all our other collaborative projects have.

If we can pull it off with any reasonable success (and we certainly can
because it's so decentralized, so perfectly collaborative, something
we've done before) then we'll have created something truly spectacular
that will continue to live, grow and evolve with video blogging...
something we can point the mainstream media to and say.. "Do you get it
yet? Do you get it!?  There is your big stinking hi-light reel!"

If the media still still can't get it, then I don't know what would
work. It's the equivalent of a big freaking christmas tree of citizen
media with a big "we are the media" star at the top. What could be more
obvious, more powerful, or more artful.

=====================================
some silly notes... (the bonus round)
=====================================

As I read the words in Truffaut's quote and think of this project, wild
ideas run through my head...

- For the line "the story of a trip" I want to see Duncan's brother
repeating the lines from a camel in the Saharan desert. I know the
words have a special meaning to him.

http://thelastminute.typepad.com/blog/2005/07/berber_tours.html

- For the line "their military service" I want to track down the
creator of the the Amarillo parody that was featured on Rocketboom. I
know that'll have special meaning to him. Or heh, I wonder if Kevin
Sites would be appropriate.

http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/archives/2005/05/rb_05_may_27_1.html

- For the line "their marriage" I would love to see Carol and Steve
Garfield reciting that line.

As we seek out these people for their special meaning to us and the
words we'll be adding them to the stock footage so others can use the
footage as they like, and though their meanings to us are not fixed and
held by everyone they will perfectly illustrate that the film of
tomorrow is ultimately for whatever audience of one or more people we
make it for. In that they will be as I've said before, perfect gems,
true to themselves. These videos will hold for us each a special
meaning, because they will be true to us, just as Truaffat said.

So... As usual, I've used toooo many words, but... Who's up for it!?

-Mike

Michael Meiser
http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - serious lunacy stuff