On Aug 5, 2005, at 12:34 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
7. hot-linking with an http://http file structure to hide source of video when pulling from another domain.

been curious about this one. feel free to explain ;-)

This is a neat feature you can set up on your server which I was introduced to through DVlabs.

I still have the Moveable Type pages (database) on Dreamhost but now store all of the videos on dvlabs.

The problem that happens when you hotlink your videos in from another server is that the server address appears to the user as the source of the video, instead of your domain. Then, if someone links directly to your video and bypasses the post, your domain name will never even appear.

This also happens to a lesser degree with reference files. Even when the reference file sits on your server, the browser address bar still reveals that the files are loading from another server.

By configuring the server with a PHP script, I can create a reference file that will not reveal the source of the video by including an additional 'http:'.

This also helps when not using a reference file (because reference files don't work with RSS enclosures): Rocketboom is now set up so that the video pulls from the index page directly from DVlabs, but the browser bar does not reveal the source as a result of the additional 'http'.